Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Essie Topless & Barefoot

I was super excited to get this polish. I was looking for a nude polish a few weeks ago for a friends wedding and this was recommended. I had previously seen it at Walmart, so I went down to look for it and they didn't have it. I went to Target, some drugstores, and called 2 Ultas trying to find it, and none of them had it. Where the heck did this polish go, seriously?? So I didn't get to wear it to the wedding, but because I had nothing like it, I decided I had to get it or I'd regret it. So I picked up this ghost polish on Amazon.

Sorry in advance for all of the photos. I just wanted to show the subtle difference in color in different lights, and because I like different angles. And when I want to see swatches, I love seeing more than 1.

Essie Topless & Barefoot Swatch

Essie Topless & Barefoot Swatch

Essie Topless & Barefoot Swatch



3 coats Topless & Barefoot
1 (VERY necessary) coat SV

Essie describes this as "a barely there soft beige pink". I think they're pretty correct with that description. I would say that while it is pinky, it's not so pink that yellow undertones couldn't wear it. It comes across as more neutral. I don't necessarily agree with calling it "barely there" because that implies to me that it's sheer, and this polish is certainly not sheer.
While I'm intrigued by the color of this polish, I'm disappointed with the formula. If you're familiar with Essie Mint Candy Apple, that is a similar formula. It seems thick, but I don't think it really is, or at least I think thinner is not appropriate. I'm wondering if it has to do with the brush, which doesn't seem to spread out at all. I'm not a fan of large brushes like OPI ProWide, but this was a little ridiculous. It was also fairly streaky, which could be due to the brush. I say SV was necessary because it was slightly uneven, and I specifically included a photo of what I am calling "SV ripple". Which I believe is also me just slapping on SV because I was so annoyed.
I had to be cautious of cuticle drag with this polish, too. Which is another reason it really needed SV. You just had to be very careful with application. Which happens and is fine, but I was trying to hurry up because I had places to go.

2 comments: